02:30 – 17th Century hall
06:12 – 18th/19th Century hall
09:29 – World War One hall
17:13 – World War Two hall
20:24 – Naval history area
I recently had a chance to visit the Austrian Museum of Military History, and figured it would be nice to film a tour for the channel. The museum is in Vienna (the address is actually “Arsenal 1”) and is one of the oldest continuously-operating military museums in Europe. There are four main galleries, and while they have a lot of very good sub-collections I think the real strength of the museum is the World War One section.
A few of the highlights include:
– Perhaps the best collection extant of 17th century Turkish arms
– A 380mm WW1 siege gun
– Girandoni air rifle and it’s air pump
– WW1 compressed-air mortars
– Salvatore-Dormus machine guns, and several Villar Peruses
– Artifacts from the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, including his car and uniform and three of Princip’s groups’ FN 1910 pistols
If you are in Vienna, it is definitely a museum worth stopping in to see! I am looking forward to a future visit myself to see the new World War Two exhibits, which are expected to open in 2024.