Franz Passler and Ferdinand Seidl formed a partnership to make manually-operated pistols in Austria in the late 1880s, but the arrangement did not last. Their design was initially patented by Passler in Austria, and then jointly by both men in Germany. It is a rotating barrel design similar in function to the 1887 pattern Schulhof, but with a simplified internal design that makes it more durable and easier to manufacture. They also used a different magazine system, choosing a 5-round Mannlicher type clip to feed the pistol. Only about 100 pistols were made under both Passler and Passler & Seidl, and they all show minor variations – there was no commercial success achieved with the model.