The FN Model D (“demontage”, or detachable) was the last and best evolution of the Browning Automatic Rifle. FN acquired a license to make the BAR in 1920 from Colt, and made its first major sale to Poland in 1928. Using that income to finance its production tooling, FN would introduce its Model 30 version of the BAR (essentially a duplicate of the contemporary Colt model 1925). However, a team led by Dieudonné Saive continued to work on the design and in 1932 they introduced the improved Model D. This featured a mechanical rate reducing mechanism offering about 350 rpm on slow and about 600 rpm on fast. It had a new and improved magazine release, and most importantly a receiver redesigned to allow quick and easy field stripping and a quick-detach barrel. Production continued after World War Two, not ending until 1967. The final iteration of the Model D was the DA1, adapted to use the new 7.62mm NATO cartridge from standard FAL rifle magazines. The FN-D would be adopted by nationals all over the world, including Finland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Colombia, Belgium, and Egypt.
June 28, 2016 Ian McCollum Gunsmithing, Heavy MGs, Modifications, Prototype, Select-fire Rifles, Semiauto pistol, Semiauto Rifles, Video 51