The Lee Metford MkI had scarcely been introduced when it was modified into the MkI* pattern, This was quickly followed by the MkII and MkII*, the Lee Enfield MkI, and Lee Enfield MkI*. In essence, the changes were:
- Lee Metford MkI*: Change of sights to traditional barleycorn and V-notch, and removal of the manual safety
- Lee Metford MkII: Update to 10-round, double-feed magazine, move sling rearward, modify cleaning rod to clearing rod.
- Lee Metford MkII*: Addition of safety lever on cocking piece
- Lee Enfield MkI: Change from Metford rifling to Enfield
- Lee Enfield MkI*: Clearing rod removed