One J.C. White of Boston submitted this rifle incomplete to the 1929 US Army rifle trials, and he returned in 1930 with two completed rifles. White’s design used a gas piston, constructed so that the gas port was closed off shortly after the piston started moving, and thus (theoretically) softening the action. It was a light and compact rifle, and made a good impression on the testing board. Despite generally good performance, though, it was not as durable a design as the Garand and Pedersen, and suffered from unexpected weaknesses and parts failures. White revised the rifle and it was tested again in 1931, but again failed to prove superior to the Garand or Pedersen rifles.