The Bendix Aviation Corporation submitted this rifle, designed by Mr. George Hyde, to the trials. It was a gas-operated design, and the only entry to use a pistol grip. Dimensions were 33.6 inches long with a 15.75 inch barrel and a weight of 5.3 pounds, including sling and 5-round magazine.
The gun went through trial well, with excellent performance in dusty conditions, excellent accuracy, light recoil, and simple disassembly and maintenance. The committee recommended that it be modified with a stronger recoil spring and mechanism to allow the bolt handle to be used to force the bolt closed (the original design could only pull the bolt open). It was also recommended that the stock be changed.
A modified version of the Hyde carbine was submitted to the second set of trials on September 11, 1941. Five prototypes were manufactured by Inland (which would later produce M1 Carbines) in conjunction with Bendix. This second version had a total of 60 parts, and no longer had a provision for full automatic fire nor did it have the pistol grip found on the first model. It also now had a bolt handle directly connected to the bolt.
This new version was heavier, at 5.8 pounds with a sling and 5-round magazine. It was overall considered inferior to the first Hyde carbine. Functioning was not as good, disassembly was more difficult, and the barrel was inferior to the original gun.